In cooperation with physicians and other allied health care personnel, the Athletic Trainer functions as an integral member of the athletic health care team in secondary schools, colleges and universities, professional sports programs, sports medicine clinics, and other athletic health care settings.
Justin-Siena’s Athletic Trainer is a qualified allied health care professional educated and experienced in the management of health care issues associated with sports participation. The Athletic Trainer functions in cooperation with medical personnel, athletic administrators, coaches, and parents in the development and coordination of efficient and responsive athletic health care delivery systems.
The main focus of the Athletic Trainer is:
- Injury Assessment - All athletic related injuries should be assessed initially by the school Athletic Trainer to determine the best course of action to manage the injury.
- Rehabilitation - Some injuries can be rehabilitated with the Athletic Trainer during after school hours in the Athletic Training Room. All rehabilitation times are coordinated with the student-athlete and the Athletic Trainer.
- Physicals - All student-athletes need to have a valid physical. Physicals are valid for one (1) year. All medical paperwork is reviewed by the Athletic Trainer. No student is allowed to try out or participate in any sport without a valid physical. All physicals for all student-athletes are stored on SportsWare. This is an online resource to manage, and store students' physicals. It is 100% HIPAA compliant. To upload your physical into SportsWare, please click link below.
- SportsWare – SportsWare is an online resource to manage, and store student-athlete’s physicals, medical history, and emergency information. Each student-athlete is required to have a completed SportsWare account. To access your SportsWare account utilizing your school email, please click here
- ImPACT Testing - The ImPACT test is a baseline concussion assessment that is required every two (2) years for every student-athlete. Please check with the Athletic Trainer if you are unsure of when your last ImPACT baseline test was taken. All ImPACT assessments are reviewed by neuropsychologist consultant Dr. Eric Freitag.